Comparison chart worries

James Dennett jdennett at acm.org
Wed Jan 17 08:12:14 PST 2007

Kevin Bealer wrote:
> I'm kind of glad its not going away completely, because I've always found the
> links on column #0 provide a neat resource for finding things like "static if"
> when you don't remember the syntax (or keyword!) that makes it tick.
>
> I'm wondering if a larger version like this would be useful:
>
> |String support:
> | D                   C                   C++           Java
> | UTF8,16,32 types    char*, null         string and    Special class with
> | used with D's       terminated          wstring are   language support;
> | static + dynamic    arrays with         ASCII and     is an immutable
> | arrays.             libc's string.h     UTF16 array   array of UTF16
> |                     support functions.  classes.      codepoints.
>
> It could be a mixture of "what exists" plus "how to do it".

It would be good to get a C++ person to check it over,
so that it doesn't say that wstring is tied to UTF-16,
for example (particularly as C++09 is very likely to
bring support for Unicode strings to C++, and wstring
is intended for fixed-width encodings which excludes
UTF-16, though on many or most platforms it is quite
reasonable to store UCS4 in std::wstrings).

-- James