Regular expression woes

just jeff psychobrat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 14:59:54 PST 2007

Lionello Lunesu Wrote:

> (...)
> Also, the following two appear to be missing from "conservative matching":
>
> xfoo[xx]xxxfoox
> xfooxxxx[xfoox]

I wouldn't have expected them to be found; I had thought standard regex behavior was not to find overlapping matches (i.e. to start searching again just past the end of any match it finds).

I'm at work at the moment (and unfortunately without my laptop), so the only library I have available to test that on is the VBA one that comes with Access (*shudders* :P), but that doesn't find those two matches either.