Comparison chart worries

Don Clugston dac at nospam.com.au
Thu Jan 18 00:54:12 PST 2007

Kevin Bealer wrote:
> I'm kind of glad its not going away completely, because I've always found the
> links on column #0 provide a neat resource for finding things like "static if"
> when you don't remember the syntax (or keyword!) that makes it tick.
>
> I'm wondering if a larger version like this would be useful:
>
> |String support:
> | D                   C                   C++           Java
> | UTF8,16,32 types    char*, null         string and    Special class with
> | used with D's       terminated          wstring are   language support;
> | static + dynamic    arrays with         ASCII and     is an immutable
> | arrays.             libc's string.h     UTF16 array   array of UTF16
> |                     support functions.  classes.      codepoints.
>
> It could be a mixture of "what exists" plus "how to do it".
>
> But maybe this is beyond the scope of this site for now -- it would take a lot of
> typing and maybe some research to fill in such a table and that might be better
> done via wiki.
>
> Kevin

Another possibility would be to add a single-line comment beside some of
the entries, to directly avoid misconceptions.
eg:
Garbage collection --- Optional, Manual memory management also available.
Object oriented --- Optional, free functions also available
Template value parameters --- integral, floating point, or string.

I'm also baffled as to why 'alias' is in the Arrays section.