Woeful performance of D compared to C++

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Fri Jan 19 00:18:53 PST 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Lionello Lunesu wrote:
>> This might solve the performace in this case, but Walter, have you
>> checked the thread "Why is this D code slower than C++" in
>> digitalmars.D.learn ?
>
> The first thing I'd try is using DMD's built-in profiler:
>
>     dmd -profile test.d

Been done.  The main thing it shows is that the Sphere.Intersect routine
is a hotspot.  The other hotspot is the big recursive Raytrace function
itself, but that's not so useful without a line-by-line breakdown since
basically everything happens inside there.

The D trace.log is at:
   http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~shro8822/trace.log

The C++ log was attached to a post:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.learn&article_id=5958

Though I'm not sure it's useful to compare them, because I think it was
two different machines that ran the two.

--bb