Are templates required ?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Fri Jan 19 02:36:08 PST 2007

Are templates an optional feature of D 1.0,
or are they required by any implementation ?

Reason I ask is because they *don't* work OK
with Mac OS X 10.3 (or 10.2) version of GDC
that I did using GCC 3.x because the compiler
doesn't have "one-only linkage" that is required.

Most of Phobos and D programs work anyway, using
the -femit-templates parameter set to "private",
but for more complex programs this tends to fail.
(DMDScript and readf being two such examples...)

The Mac OS X 10.4 GDC version has no such problems,
so if it is required I'll just drop Panther support.

--anders