How to install D on Linux as non-root?

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sun Jan 21 02:18:13 PST 2007

Carlos Santander wrote:

> There're instructions in
> http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?D__Tutorial/InstallingDCompiler#MethodOne-installinyourhomedirectory
>
> Although I admit that page is a bit hard to find.

Once upon a time the suggested way of adding stuff
was to put it in the Wiki. So thus I put it there...

It's being linked to from the D Compiler "Comments":
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DocComments/DCompiler

Would be nice if there was a .tgz as well as .zip:
1) without the Windows stuff (smaller download)
2) with the correct line endings (UNIX vs. DOS)
3) with the correct permissions (bin: chmod +x)

But I prefer using packages myself, so I'm using RPM.
(it does require root priviledges to install/update)
It handles updates and requirements* more gracefully.
Walter is free to use any of these, on his DMD page.

--anders

* such as the old libstdc++.so.5 library from "compat"