Const template

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Sun Jan 21 17:19:16 PST 2007

> A template can't detect lazy properly. It's unclear what it means to
> assign to a lazy parameter. Lazy is a storage class that changes the
> access syntax. I believe lazy is ill-designed. Walter should have stood
> the pressure and refuse to implement it without a clear definition.

Well, the pressure, if any, was from you, the way I recall it.  There
wasn't any kind of community upswell around that one.  The way I
remember it was that 'lazy' just suddenly appeared out of the blue in D
0.165 (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html#new0165 -- the
'expressions to delegates' bit), with Walter saying essentially "this is
going to change the game, trust me! Andrei convinced me!"

But maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Either way, pressure is pressure, and perhaps Walter should have
withstood it regardless of where it was coming from... I just don't
think you can pin any ill results in this case on "the community".

Just trying to set the record straight here. :-)

--bb