Big problem with Small programs

kris foo at bar.com
Tue Jan 23 00:10:30 PST 2007

I have a helloworld.d program. I compile it on both Win32 and on linux.
On linux, the executable is 72KB whereas on Win32 it is 141KB. Why is this?

Turns out that D programs importing comprehensive Win32 D headers will
wind up with executable space occupied for *all* constants and *all*
struct initializers for the darned Win32 decls; where none of them are
actually used.

That amounts to ~70KB of junk in the executable -- almost a full 100%
increase in size beyond what it should be.

Does OptLink remove this? I've had no success with it. Walter? Can you
help with this?

- Kris