seeding the pot for 2.0 features

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue Jan 23 14:17:09 PST 2007

Reply to kris,

> Hrm, I may be a dolt but the above looks like greek -- I have no idea,
> at first glance, what the heck it does -- that's an important concern
> for the target audience, surely? Actually, what is the target audience
> for D? Specifically? Perhaps that's a good place to start :)
>
> Other than that, my suggestions for 2.0 would be to fix the problems
> in 1.0. The dreaded mixin noted above is a case in point. How about
> /removing/ that broken macro-expansion feature for 2.0 :D
>
> (somewhat tongue-in-cheek)

The basic idea that spawned the suggestion was to have a template class that
implements an arbitrary interface and provides the functionality to transport
it across a network connection. Given an interface.

interface I
{
 int foo();
}

 A server side program would do something like this.

class C : I
{
 int foo()
 {
  static int i = 0;
  return i++;

ServeInterface!(I)(new C);

and the client would do this:

auto ref = new ConnectInterface!(I)("some.domain.name.org",port);

writef("%d\n", ref.foo());

thus getting access to the C on the server.

I have written a code generator to do this but is is vary painful to work
with.