When does final mean "maybe, kinda, sorta" ?

Steve Horne stephenwantshornenospam100 at aol.com
Wed Jan 24 05:20:41 PST 2007

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:20:18 -0800, kris <foo at bar.com> wrote:

>Steve Horne wrote:

>> 1. Specifying override on a method that doesn't override any base
>>    class method should be an error.
>> 2. Failing to specify override on a method that does override a base
>>    class public/protected method should be an error.

>(1) does generate an error, but (2) has never generated one, and
>requests to make it do so have met with silence from W for years :)

Ah - ok. I'm not so sure the override modifier has much value, done
this way.

I guess I agree - it looks like a missed opportunity. I guess the
trouble is that tightening up the rules would be big breaking change.
Easy to fix, but a lot of fixing needed.

Oh well.

--
Remove 'wants' and 'nospam' from e-mail.