Real World usage of D, Today (was Re: challenge #2: implement the varargs_reduce metafunction)

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Wed Jan 24 13:16:54 PST 2007

Lionello Lunesu wrote:
> "Sean Kelly" <sean at f4.ca> wrote in message
> news:ep8a08$2t4o$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>> Could you explain further?  Is this simply a problem with false positives
>> or is there something else going on?
>
> I'm afraid I'm not 100% sure. The memory use was definitely higher than it
> should be and there were quite a few memory leaks (false positives).  The
> biggest problem however was not the memory use, but the fact that the GC
> would get slower and slower. This particular application was using mostly
> strings (big ones), so apart from the pointers to those strings, there
> werent' many pointers.

Ah, that is because all those strings are being scanned for pointers.
The Tango GC that keys on element size addresses this issue, and the new
Phobos GC that uses TypeInfo does as well.  For the record, Tango will
be using TypeInfo just like Phobos as soon as the next DMD release is
out (we're holding with 1.0 until the bugs are fixed).

Sean