Versioning best practices

BCS BCS at pathlink.com
Wed Jan 24 14:47:54 PST 2007

Thomas Kuehne wrote:

> Lars Ivar Igesund schrieb am 2007-01-24:
>
>>I've been looking at what D and the compilers provide to help with
>>successfully versioning D source code in such a way that it minimizes
>>duplication of code (and in the process ease organization of said code),
>>ease readability and ease building.
>
> [...]
>
>>Do you think that the current tools are adequate?
>

> Most of the times versioning is the wrong approach. I think C's
> (and to a lesser extend C++'s) non-existing compile time reflection
> forced everyone to use versioning instead of "featuring".

Shouldn't version be used for adding or not adding a feature? I'm
thinking of, for example, building a compiler with extensions where the
extensions are optional*.

(* This could be done with run time switches, but try building a parser
with yacc that at run time can turn on or off any set of 20+ syntax
extensions.)