Real World usage of D, Today (was Re: challenge #2: implement the varargs_reduce metafunction)

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Wed Jan 24 21:01:38 PST 2007

kris wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu (See Website For Email) wrote:
>> kris wrote:

>>> Aye, and that is certainly appreciated. Some of the items you've
>>> mentioned recently have long been festering sores for many. It'll
>>> certainly be refreshing to see some attention focused upon those.
>>>
>>> Regarding implicit conversion rules -- are you including the "issues"
>>> currently surrounding signature-matching when using constants?
>>

>> Could you give more detail?
>>
>> Andrei
>
> Yep -- will get back to you with examples (probably tomorrow)

Well there is this issue that &foo where foo is an overloaded will give
you pointer to the first version of foo in the source file.  There's no
way to disambiguate as far as I know.  Particularly frustrating for
property methods

    void prop(float x) { ... }
    float prop() { ... }

&prop just gives you the first one no matter what.

Maybe not what you're talking about with "matching using constants" but
it is related to signature matching (or lack thereof).

--bb