Suggestion: Object filenames should be fully-qualified module names

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Thu Jan 25 19:42:16 PST 2007

Yes please!
I've spent the last week sending mail back and forth with some poor soul
who was trying to use my Luigi GUI lib, but couldn't seem to link it for
some reason.

Finally today I tracked it down to the only difference between my
working build file and his not working one being his use of the -od
flag.  I didn't know what -od was for, but after figuring it out, I
remembered this thread.  -od flag and .obj files were silently being
overwritten with other obj files of the same name.

EVIL!

Isn't Kirk's proposal also the way Java compilers do it?  I seem to
recall a bunch of foo.bar.baz.class files appearing last time I played
with Java.

--bb