Creation of a Build tool on top of the D compiler

kris foo at bar.com
Fri Jan 26 16:24:39 PST 2007

Frank Benoit (keinfarbton) wrote:
> Now we have dependency information in the verbose output of DMD.
> But one thing is still missing:
>
> pragma( lib, "mylib.so" );
>
> Can we have that in the output also?
> "pragma<\t>lib<\t>mylib.so"

Er, why not just have a compiler option to do a simplistic "build"
instead? It already loads and parses /all/ imported modules, but then
apparently discards everything not noted on the command line.

Wouldn't it be a whole lot more efficient if the compiler simply
retained all those parsed modules for subsequent codegen and linking?

Sure, a build tool is still really handy for generating libs, and so on.
But the basic compilation/linking task really ought to be handled by the
compiler itself. I mean, c'mon -- the compiler has an option to /run/
the resultant executable ... should at least be able to /create/ it first?

- Kris