Good demo for showing benefits of parallelism

Joel C. Salomon JoelCSalomon at Gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 14:51:29 PST 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Kevin Bealer wrote:
>> Then the question comes: why (and if) message passing / futures are
>> better than Thread and Mutex.  Herb Sutter argues that it is hard to
>> design correct code using locks and primitives like sleep/pause/mutex,
>> and that it gets a lot harder with larger systems.
>
> I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you here.  CSP is built around
> message passing and was invented in the late 70s.  And IIRC the agent
> model was designed in the early 60s.

The Plan 9 threads library
(<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/2/thread>, ported to UNIX
and available from <http://swtch.com/plan9port/>), the (defunct)
language Alef, and the Limbo language on the Inferno system are all
based on the CSP model.  Beginning C programmers can write deadlock-free
programs that usefully exploit concurrency.

For God’s sake don’t copy the Java model…

--Joel