Publicity (was: Re: Why is 2.0 in the works already?)

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Mon Jul 2 05:48:12 PDT 2007

Don Clugston wrote:
> David B. Held wrote:
>> Lars Ivar Igesund wrote:

>>> Yes, his ranking was definately wrong too, don't necessarily make
>>> TIOBE's
>>> more correct though :) If TIOBE use Google, the argumentation would
>>> affect
>>> them too in some form.
>>
>> TIOBE's rankings are certainly suspect, but all the hoopla about
>> Google is just wrong.  Google does not remove "duplicate" hits,
>> because it does not index duplicate hits.  That would be a stupid
>> search engine. Instead, it removes pages that look like they came from
>> the same site and possibly the same area of a site, and thus, may not
>> present interesting new information to the user.  A simple example is
>> searching for a term that happens to be on the footer of a bunch of
>> pages on a site.  The hits are not "dupes", but they aren't
>> interesting, either.
>>
>> Clearly, assuming that all result sets are < 1000 is just silly, and
>> the blogger should have known better.  The estimated Google hit counts
>> are probably accurate within an order of magnitude, based on various
>> searches I've done where I compared the initial hit count to what
>> Google  says after I've forced it to do an exact count (by visiting
>> all the pages).  So the TIOBE page counts are probably fairly
>> reasonable.  What is not reasonable is any interpretation of those
>> results that mentions "popularity", "buzz", "community", or
>> "zeitgeist".  Even less reasonable is any assumption that languages
>> near the top of the list are "better" than those not near the top for
>> anything but a narrow and specific definition of "better".
>>
>> Dave
>
> And despite what Tiobe says, it's certainly not an indication of
> "mainstreamness".
> Just look at the graph for Fortran shows how meaningless the Tiobe
> ranking is.
> It ought to be one of the most stable languages on the list. Yet
> according to Tiobe, it's dropped by a factor of 3 since 2003. It's
> nonsense.

If I understood the rating correctly, that happens because the scoring
is relative and not absolute. So even if the "popularity" (hit count) of
a language stays constant (which should be the case for Fortran), it's
rating can change simply if other languages become more "popular".

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student