Public outcry against new .init behaviour

Vladimir Panteleev thecybershadow at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:40:12 PDT 2007

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:07:48 +0300, Robert Fraser <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree.... But the change should only be introduced to the 2.x branch... Breaking changes have no place in the stable branch.
>
> Maybe you could add a different property that can get the old behavior for variables, too...?

I concur - how about a new .default property? It's pretty clear that it resolves to the default value for this type (x.default==X.default), unlike .init, which is the value this variable is initialised to (and is the same as .default for types) :)

Also, agreed that the old behavior ought to be reverted for 1.x and this would only go to 2.x.

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                          mailto:thecybershadow at gmail.com