a**b exponentiation

Bill Baxter dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com
Tue Jul 3 23:21:08 PDT 2007

Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> davidb, el  3 de julio a las 20:33 me escribiste:
>>> I also like "^^", but "**" does have some history - I think it is used in FORTRAN.
>> Gnuplot uses "**" as well.
>
> And Python.

I kinda like ^^, because it looks like the smiley faces Japanese folks
make instead of the sideways things...

But logic and consistency kinda dictates that ^^ should be logical xor
since we have:

& - bitwise and   && - logical and
| - bitwise or    || - logical or
^ - bitwise xor   ^^ - ??

whereas ** is like "multiply-multiplied" which is sort of what
exponentiation is.

--bb