V2 string

James Dennett jdennett at acm.org
Thu Jul 5 20:25:47 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Regan Heath wrote:
>> Aaargh!  You're confusing empty and non-existant (null) again!  <g>
>
> In this case, no.

But a way of emptying something was asked for, and you showed
a way to make it null, not empty -- can you explain your "In
this case, no"?

>> In some cases there is an important difference between the two.
>
> The only case is when you're extending into a preallocated buffer.

I've found many times when the difference between an empty
string and no string was important; they generally have
nothing to do with extending at all.  I'd be interested to
know why you assert that no such cases exist.

-- James