V2 string

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Thu Jul 5 21:59:39 PDT 2007

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:23:43 +1000, Derek Parnell wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:58:11 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> James Dennett wrote:
>>> I've found many times when the difference between an empty
>>> string and no string was important; they generally have
>>> nothing to do with extending at all.  I'd be interested to
>>> know why you assert that no such cases exist.
>>
>> I'd like to know of such cases.
>
>   char[] Option;
>
>   Option = getOptionFromUser();
>   if (Option.ptr = 0)
>   {
>    Option = DefaultOption;
>   }
>
> However, if the user sets the option to "" then that is what they want and
> not the default one.

And if you must nitpick that one can code this a different way then here is
another example.

Let's say that there is this library routine, which is closed source and I
don't have access to its source, that accepts a string as its argument.
Further more, if that passed string is null the routine uses a default
value - whatever that is because I don't know it. Now in my code I call it
with ...

   SomeFunc("");   -- Use an empty string to do its magic
   SomeFunc(null); -- But this time, use the default value

Remember, I have no control over the SomeFunc routine's implementation.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)