GPUs and Array Operations

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 15:21:31 PDT 2007

"Craig Black" <craigblack2 at cox.net> wrote in message
news:f6p829$1l06$1 at digitalmars.com...
<snip>
> The proposed "array operations" feature in D has been discussed a lot.  It
> is even mentioned in the "future directions" page on the D web site.
> However, I don't remember the details of the array operations feature.

Basically, the idea was to allow such things as

    int[] x, y, z;
    z = x + y;
    y = x * 3;

However, it was too ill-defined to implement, and this is one of the reasons
it was withdrawn.  I proposed a rewrite of it a while ago:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/16647.html

> What are the design goals of the this feature?

To enable vector arithmetic expressions to be intuitively notated.

> To leverage multi-cores and SSE?  Are GPU's also a consideration?

That's another potential benefit that has been considered.

Stewart.