Open GL Bindings (was Re: GPGPU Arrays)

Mikola Lysenko mclysenk at mtu.edu
Wed Jul 11 18:38:11 PDT 2007

Tristam MacDonald Wrote:

> I would say templated-containers are desperately needed, before everyone rolls their own non-compatible versions. But GUI stuff (and I include OpenGL) in the core library? That requires unified cross-platform GUI toolkits, and I don't really think you will find anyone willing to invest a few million man-hours in that can of worms. What is wrong with just using wxD or similar, rather than polluting the standard lib?

You have a good point.  I guess I was a bit frustrated after spending several hours trying to port some derelict to code to my Mac, and I just felt like ranting a bit.  Ultimately, it is not really fair to compare D and C in this category, since for the onus for portability falls upon the OpenGL developers - not the C standard.  Ultimately, putting OpenGL support directly in D is probably a bit too short-sighted, when it comes right down to it.

That said, I think it would be nice if getting these things set up was a bit easier and consistent.  Right now D OpenGL programs are hardly what one could call portable.  I find that my old code is usually so damn brittle, that there is little point in redistributing it or even saving it from one month to the next.

-Mik