Two standard libraries?

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Fri Jul 13 10:17:15 PDT 2007

Dude, you are totally off base.  Vanity!?  Are you kidding me?  The people
behind Tango are not looking for glory.  They simply want a better standard
library and so are taking the necessary steps to achieve that goal.  We
could "improve and augment" Phobos if Walter had the time to coordinate and
organize contributions.  The Tango project is way more organized than Phobos
and encourages multiple contributors.  I think it was created out of
frustration with Phobos.  If Walter had been more proactive about
coordinating and integrating outisde contributions, I don't think that Tango
would have ever been started.

I'm not disrespecting Walter in any way.  Walter has indeed done a great job
on the D language, but Phobos as a standard library is somewhat lacking.
It's quite understandable that he just doesn't have enough time to maintain
it properly.  Maintaining the D compiler is a full-time position.
Maintaining the standard library is another full time position, and is more
appropriately delegated to someone else.

-Craig

news:f789hk$o0m$1 at digitalmars.com...