Two standard libraries?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Fri Jul 13 13:51:03 PDT 2007

Tristam MacDonald wrote:

> What I would like to see is an approach which combines a small, lean 'core' library (just the basics like IO and containers), and then have the 'batteries' implemented as distinct small libraries on top of the core. This allows one to choose exactly what functionality one needs, with out the extra 'fluff'.

Tango is actually designed to work this way, but in practice most people
don't want to bother with the extra installation steps that such an
approach requires.  Still, I expect that at some point, there will be
2-3 different Tango distributions.  One which includes everything, and
the others being more minimal.  Using a build tool like Bud or Rebuild
tends to make the most sense with such an approach, because dealing with
separate libraries for each package can be cumbersome.

Sean