Two standard libraries?

Nicolai Waniek no.spam at thank.you.com
Sat Jul 14 08:23:33 PDT 2007

I just wanted to share my opinion on the topic, altough most of it was already
mentioned above.

In my opinion we should concentrate on one library, instead of having both.
Phobos is good to have, because it ships with the dmd compiler so you can start
coding immediately, tango is really nice because it's more a community driven
project. Both libraries have their pros and their cons, but IMHO i waste too
much of my time switching between those two libraries. I think it is time to
decide how to proceed with the standard libraries. This is of course a topic
that should be discussed on the D conference (though I wont be there). Somehow
they should be merged, but don't ask me how.
My favourite would be a small core library (as stated by Tristam MacDonald) that
only includes the basic stuff and a standard library extending the core stuff to
a mix of phobos and tango. Of course one has to decide which garbage collector
to use, or to make more than one available.
My problem with both libraries is that I just use a subset of their features,
but I get the whole package compiled into my projects - and though we have 250GB
HDDs, i want my applications be (damn) small.

Best regards
Nicolai

--
.71