Discussion on avoiding security vulnerabilities in C++

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Sat Jul 14 10:54:57 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly Wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
> >
> > It's like I attended a presentation by Scott Meyers which was an
> > application of C++ template metaprogramming. Most of the presentation
> > was about how to do arrays of types. With D, that's trivial (as tuples),
> > and the presentation would have been over in 5 minutes.
>
> I was trying to figure out how to determine the return type of a member
> function using C++ template code the other day.  Something that would
> take me two seconds in D had me tearing my hair out in C++.  The result
> is that I simply don't do much serious metaprogramming in C++ because
> the machinations required are often just a complete mess.  In D however,
> it's so straightforward that in most cases a novice could understand it.
>   This is a huge win IMO.
>

> Sean

I remember reading the original Kernigan and Ritchie C book back in 1980 something.  I read it from cover to cover without a break, and thought wow! This is the language for me.  After many years of diversions (often known as work) I finally got round to taking a serious look at D, and found the sensation much the same.  We are all on the same side.