Two standard libraries?

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Sat Jul 14 15:16:46 PDT 2007

Steve Teale wrote:

> Sean,
>
> I give in.  I know that your motivations are genuine.  I just don't want two see classes of D citizens.  In Europe we fought for centuries over this sort of thing.  Somehow we should get to astate of affairs where if you are writing a library you should not have to make a religious choice as to which standard library you subscribe to.  Please talk to Walter at the conference, and try and get this sorted.  I would love to attend, but I live on the other side of the world, and still need to go to work.

Releasing Tango was a calculated short-term risk.  We felt we had
something to offer, but wanted it left up to the community to decide
whether we were right.  Our belief was that by releasing fairly early in
D's lifetime, any growing pains resulting from the presence of two such
libraries would be sorted out fairly quickly.  I do think the conference
is timed quite well in this respect, and am looking forward to meeting
the man behind the compiler :-)

Sean