The Next Mainstream Programming Language: A Game Developer's Perspective :: Redux

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Jul 16 08:18:51 PDT 2007

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Sun Jul 15 2007, Brad Anderson <brad-AT-dsource.org> wrote:
>
>> Bruno Medeiros wrote:
>>> I read in a recent article (I think it came from Slashdot, but not sure)
>>> that a new programming paradigm is needed to make concurrency easier,
>>> just in the same way as OO (and class encapsulation) improved on the
>>> previous data abstraction paradigm to make code cleaner and easier to
>>> write. Just in the same way as structured programming (ie, using
>>> functions/scopes/modules) improved on the previous paradigm of
>>> sequential/global/goto-using code, so to speak.
>> http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/articles/erlang.html
>>
>> search for "Concurrency Oriented Programming"
>
> Before you get too excited, see
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKfKtXYLG78

The video is a bit old (that or the people who made it were being
silly), but it's really not bad.  From it I learned that Erlang can do
realtime programming, can handle errors locally without much explicit
coding to do so (or so it seemed), and is dynamically loaded.  Their
conclusions at the end also suggest that it's much easier to write such
programs in Erlang than in C.  Having worked in that particular field
before, I found the demo to be pretty interesting.

Sean