D and Lisp

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Mon Jul 16 10:33:20 PDT 2007

Reply to Denton,

> Hey guys,
>
> I'm in University and am about to start my Ph.D.
> I know Lisp, and I've been on the D newsgroup for a few months
> following
> its growth. For ones that know Lisp, what can you say is the
> experience
> programming in D compared to programming in Lisp?  What are some of
> the
> frustrations of D in comparison? Some of the joys?  What do you most
> miss
> from Lisp that you wish D had?
> I'm trying to decide which to use for my thesis work.
> Should I delve fully into D, or run with Lisp?
> What would you use to convince a Lisper to try D?
> Hope that wasn't too many questions.

Well, IMHO the part of D that gets the closet to Lisp is template programming
stuff. The first time I really "got" template programming was when I was
in the middle of learning scheme. It would be rather interesting to show
that most of Lisp (enough to be Turing compleat?) can be translated into
D templates.