D and Lisp

Denton Cockburn diboss at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 17 09:54:13 PDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 12:53:44 +0200, torhu wrote:

> Denton Cockburn wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I'm in University and am about to start my Ph.D. I know Lisp, and I've
>> been on the D newsgroup for a few months following its growth. For ones
>> that know Lisp, what can you say is the experience programming in D
>> compared to programming in Lisp?  What are some of the frustrations of
>> D in comparison? Some of the joys?  What do you most miss from Lisp
>> that you wish D had?
>>
>> I'm trying to decide which to use for my thesis work. Should I delve
>> fully into D, or run with Lisp? What would you use to convince a Lisper
>> to try D?
>>
>> Hope that wasn't too many questions.
>
> Maybe this'll interest you:
> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/lisp-java-d.html

I read this before.  I guess I was looking for something more 'direct'.
More of a comparison from one who has used both...how the experience
differs.  So far in my learning of D I have:

Lisp:
smaller syntax
clearer and easier to use function library (hyperspec)
dynamic typing

D:
speed
easier distribution (i.e. EXEs)

D's syntax and rules are a lot harder to follow than Lisp's so far.  Lisp
failures lie in its difficulty in distributing apps.
I don't know either in depth enough to go deeper in analysis.  That's why
I'd like the input of more experienced individuals than myself :-)