Two standard libraries?

Chris Nicholson-Sauls ibisbasenji at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:00:00 PDT 2007

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Robert Fraser wrote:
>> I stand corrected.
>
> Ok people come on.  Doesn't he have something of a point?  Doesn't byte
> compilation at least remove the names of local variables that clearly
> are not and therefor cannot ever be referred to by name?
>
> --bb

It depends upon the language.  To return to Ruby as an example, this is
a language that only supports full reflection, but even full mutation at
run-time, to the extent that much of a Ruby application could easily be
generated on the fly.  Therefore, in this case at least, absolute all
such state information and meta-information MUST be retained.  In the
case of PHP, for example, it might be able to toss quite a lot of them,
yes, based on the presence or absence of those few constructs that make
use of them.  Then again that could actually make it compile slower, and
PHP apps aren't usually designed to be long-lived.  Increased PHP
compile times means losing much of its usefulness.

I'd be interested in seeing what Java does.

-- Chris Nicholson-Sauls