D and Lisp

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Jul 18 06:06:34 PDT 2007

Denton Cockburn wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm in University and am about to start my Ph.D.
> I know Lisp, and I've been on the D newsgroup for a few months following
> its growth. For ones that know Lisp, what can you say is the experience
> programming in D compared to programming in Lisp?  What are some of the
> frustrations of D in comparison? Some of the joys?  What do you most miss
> from Lisp that you wish D had?
>
> I'm trying to decide which to use for my thesis work.
> Should I delve fully into D, or run with Lisp?
> What would you use to convince a Lisper to try D?
>
> Hope that wasn't too many questions.

D is likely by far the closest to LISP of the static (non-dynamic)
family languages.
D has advanced meta-programming capabilities. It also lambdas (called
function/delegate literals in D) but they currently have some
restrictions: delegate literals that access function contexts are not
valid after the function returns, since function contexts are
stack-allocated (and not heap-allocated like in Lisp). This is planned
to be fixed eventually.
You should also be mindful of int and float arithmetic, since these
types cannot hold a number of any size, something which for what I've
been told, many Lispers find extremely unclean. But since D has operator
overloading, you can create a BigNum like class and work with it almost
as easily as a primitive numerical type.

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student