The Next Mainstream Programming Language: A Game Developer's

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 18 15:41:49 PDT 2007

Robert Fraser wrote:
> But green threads don't take advantage of multi-core processors, neh?

There's very little that's black and white when it comes to the lines
between processes and threads (both kernel and user space).  I worked
with a thread library that allows migration of individual threads
between _processes_.  It's the only one like that I've ever seen, but it
worked, and quite elegantly (and unfortunately proprietary).  It's
relatively easy to produce of a M:N model that's a combination of kernel
level threads combined with user space threads.

Erlang is indeed a very interesting system if for no other reason that
it's fairly unique.  I wish I could find 3-6 months to really get my
hands dirty with it, but alas, that's behind another dozen or so
projects.  Anyone wanna be my lackey, I mean research assistant?  The
pay would be crappy, the housing not free, and the hours sucky.. but
it'd be fun, honest!

Later,
Brad