Advanced Topics in Programming Languages Series: C++ Threads (The future of C++ and threading)

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Fri Jul 20 09:34:59 PDT 2007

"janderson" <askme at me.com> wrote in message
news:f7pfju$1dfq$1 at digitalmars.com...
> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3528799355371049884&hl=en

Wow!  Looks like they are actually making significant progress with the C++
standard.  It sounds like it will take a while before this stuff is
implemented in C++ compilers though.

I wonder how D's current features compare with this new C++ standard.  For
example, how does the synchronized variable in D compare to an atomic
variable in C++ 0x.  Does D use lock-free techniques when they are
available?  I know that there are some provisions for lock-free stuff in
Tango, but it the synchronize keyword should support lock-free algorithms
when available.

-Craig