Humble request at Walter: Could you _please_ fix phobos already?

janderson askme at me.com
Sat Jul 21 14:25:37 PDT 2007

downs wrote:
> I don't like Tango. Going by looks and usability alone, I'd far prefer
> to use Phobos. However, sometimes I run into trouble with Phobos, like
> sockets being broken in interesting ways, the connect function not being
> synchronized, lack of templates in std.string .. I'm sure many of you
> have had similar experiences.
> Those are not unbelievably complex and hard issues (like, for example,
> Macros) but mostly rather trivial things that could be fixed with a few
> lines of code.
> So I really have to ask - why are these issues not being fixed? Why is
> it that in a post-1.0 project, which should be largely bug-free and
> feature complete, I still have to debug the _standard library_?
> When writing code, there are a few basic assumptions that you have to
> make for the sake of efficiency, like what your tools are telling you is
> correct. That the standard library works as advertised is one of those
> assumptions. Why is it, that in a post-1.0 project, important parts of
> the GC, like generationalCollect, even though they are explicitly
> mentioned in the documentation, remain unimplemented?
> I really like D, and I also like Phobos. I think it would be sad if
> people who don't even particularly _like_ Tango would be pushed towards
> using it by problems that could have been solved.
>  --downs
>
> PS: In a similar vein, some people have observed that longstanding bugs
> seem to be getting less attention these days. Perhaps it would be ..
> wise, before going off and adding new features which in turn introduce
> new bugs, to fix the old ones first?

Maybe the community should just make a branch of Phobos
(Phobos.Community).  Go though all the submissions to bugzilla and add
them.  Perhaps the person adding the fix could be a different person
that summited it so the code get some review.  Walter could then come
along once and a while and merge it into his branch which is much
quicker then adding single fixes at a time (alternatively he could keep
fixing Phobos bugs as he already is).