New to D

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 16:22:47 PDT 2007

somebody Wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to D and I'm looking for some advice. I have been using Delphi
> for years but I'm now looking at alternatives.
>
> D is a wonderful language but what IDE and GUI library should I use
> with it?
>
> Thanks

D is a relatively new language, and has just recently been gaining momentum. As such, there are quite a few different options for IDEs and GUI libraries, all of which are very capable, but none of which are the "definitive" choices.

For information on what projects are available, DSource is a great resource: http://www.dsource.org/ . Not too sure about GUI frameworks, but DFL (http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl.php ) seems to be a popular choice for a Windows-based GUI framework, and some work has been done on a Linux port. That said, for platform-independence, you might want to look elsewhere. Not totally sure...

As far as IDEs go, if you're looking for a "heavyweight" IDE, the three main options people seem to be using are:

Code::Blocks - http://www.codeblocks.org/ - A mature C++ development environment with D support.
Poseidon - http://www.dsource.org/projects/poseidon/ - An independent IDE written in D.
Descent - http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent - An Eclipse-based IDE.

All three are actively being developed, and while none of them are as fully-featured as editors for other languages, they are all progressing rapidly, and more than usable. Becuase I'm working on Descent, I feel obligated to plug it here, but all three are good choices.

Welcome & good luck!