Humble request at Walter: Could you _please_ fix phobos already?

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jul 23 17:10:46 PDT 2007

janderson wrote:
> Maybe the community should just make a branch of Phobos
> (Phobos.Community).  Go though all the submissions to bugzilla and add
> them.

I'm going to do a little rant here, so please indulge me for a moment.
Many of the submitted patches are well done, and they aren't put in
phobos because I haven't gotten off of my lazy arse and put them in yet.

But some are of the form "I don't know how it works, here's a patch that
might work but I haven't tried it." Those kind of patches are not helpful.

A good patch has the following attributes:

1) It's done based on a good understanding of how the module works and
how it should work.

2) It's been tried and found to work. Saying it "seems" to work isn't
good enough, and leaves me with the thought that the engineering of the
patch will have to be completely redone.

3) Unit tests are included to independently verify that it does, indeed,
work and solve the bug.

4) The -cov switch was used to verify that all lines of the patch were
executed by the unit tests.

Do I consistently live up to this standard 100%? Nope, and shame on me
for not. And every time I don't, I get burned.