Why are binaries/executables so large on Windows?

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 08:57:28 PDT 2007

"Jarrett Billingsley" <kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:f7r6fp$1ahq$1 at digitalmars.com...
<snip>
> This 70KB is largely due to the runtime type info which is included (and
> necessary) for most of the runtime to use.

Most of the runtime?  Why?  At the moment we have:
- AAs
- sorting
- variadic functions

(Is RTTI basically just the TypeInfo classes in D?)

Of course, garbage collection could also use RTTI, but does the current GC
implementation use it?

Moreover, ISTM that even if the runtime does need RTTI, I'd think the
average program wouldn't need it for every single type in the language, the
program and any library it uses.  There ought to be a way to optimise by
linking in the RTTI for only those types where it's actually needed.

> This also includes the garbage collector.
<snip>

What does - the 70KB, RTTI or "most of the runtime"?

Stewart.