Simple tutorial

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 13:36:44 PDT 2007

"Daniel White" <twinbee41 at skytopia.com> wrote in message
news:f87rs0$1oja$1 at digitalmars.com...
> To start, I would like to make a simple window where I can load an image
> (using the standard Windows load window), and where I can use a simple
> slider at the top to change the brightness of the loaded image. (the image
> would update on the fly as I altered the slider) Really simple, but uses
> GFX, and GUI components. Bear in mind that I want to manually change the
> pixel values myself (we can store all 24 bit pixels in a x*y*c array), and
> I want them updated and lightning speed.
>
> I want the best/fastest extensions that will allow me to make this program
> using D. Can anyone recommend which ones to use, and also if there's
> already a tutorial anywhere which will allow me to make something similar
> from absolute scratch. How would such a setup compare to the fastest way
> to do it in C?

Have a look at DFL: http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl.php

It's a very easy-to-use Windows forms library (I get the impression you're
using Windows; DFL only supports Windows right now).  It comes with several
example programs to get you started.

That page also has a link to Entice Designer, a form designer that's a lot
like Visual Studio's (though much less bloated).  Entice is slowly evolving
into a lightweight IDE as well.

> I like to use a basic text editor for coding, rather than a bloated
> developer's enviroment.

Had a look at www.context.cx?  Or do you already have something that you're
comfortable with?