Do we need a time-out in D evolution?

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Wed Jun 6 00:52:07 PDT 2007

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 02:04:05 +0400, Bill Baxter
<dnewsgroup at billbaxter.com> wrote:

> Of all the features under consideration for D, const is the one most
> likely to have sweeping repercussions throughout the language.  So if D
> is ever to get a serious const, it better happen sooner rather than
> later, precisely so it can settle down and become stable.  The longer
> Walter waits, the more libraries and code that will be affected and need
> to change.  There are *no* other proposals on the table that I know 	of
> that will be require such major changes to the language.  None.  Const
> is the big daddy.  Reflection things may be big in terms of
> implementation work, but impact on backwards compatability should be
> pretty much nil.
>
> So far Walter has spent, what, about a month focused on const?  If it
> works out then great.  The issue will be settled, and no longer be a
> cloud looming on the horizon.  If it doesn't, well then too the issue
> will be settled, and no longer be a cloud looming on the horizon. Either
> way, the big daddy change will be behind us.

My question was inspiried by const/final/invariant discussion. But my
question is not about necessarity of adding const/final/invariant. So let
take me some explanation.

At first, I'm C++ programmer and I like 'const' in C++. Sometimes it
really helps to avoid bug (last case was a few days ago). Because of that
I want to see consts in D (but current situation with
const/final/invariant looks too complicated for me).

But the question isn't in const or AST macros or something else. The
question is in incompatible changes to language after the short time since
v.1.000. It is not good I think.

I think it always be something cool and desirable for including in
language. Even if we don't know now what it will be. For example: why
thought about const/final/invariant at Jan 2007 when v.1.000 was released?

Because of that must be some moment when Walter say: "We stop adding new
features. Now we take two or three years of language stability and see
what happens here". I thought v.1.014 is a good moment for that. But now
we are talking about consts...

So my question is: "Is there a planed time-out in D evolution?"

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau