Do we need a time-out in D evolution?

eao197 eao197 at intervale.ru
Fri Jun 8 10:06:29 PDT 2007

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:22:09 +0400, Carlos Santander
<csantander619 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I might be wrong, but I don't think Dv2 will be incompatible with Dv1 in
> a major way. If you start coding now, perhaps you'll have to branch your
> code to make use of the shiny new features of Dv2, but I don't foresee
> many changes. Of course, I guess that depends on your actual code and
> the features you want to use, but I still wouldn't be so worried.

I don't agree with you. As a C++ programmer I'm big fun of 'const' -- it
have saved me from bugs several times. So when const became a part of D I
certaintly rewrite my code with use of const/final/invariant. To show you
how it can affect my project I can say -- in one my rather big C++ library
(~46K lines) there are 121 *.hpp files with ~280 const methods and ~900
const parameters. I think it is not too easy to write all that staff
without const at first and then carefully rewrite and retest it with const.

--
Regards,
Yauheni Akhotnikau