Do we need a time-out in D evolution?

Charlie charlie.fats at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 06:56:21 PDT 2007

Walter Bright wrote:
> Daniel Keep wrote:
>> I've been thinking about it, and I have to agree with both camps on a
>> lot of their arguments.  const by default is safer and clearer, whilst
>> mutable by default is obvious and more consistent with how we're already
>> writing code.
>
> const by default is too big a change, and I'm reluctant to do something
> so far out of the mainstream of these types of languages.

I'd argue const, which only has one ( terrible ) implementation in curly
brace languages ( C++ ), is already out of the mainstream.  And
decorating everything with const just plain sucks.  If your argument is
really that most people will be turned off by default const, Id argue
that more people are turned off by default mutable.

D has a chance to improve this paradigm, why are we sticking with an
approach that most people agree is weak/broken already ?

Charlie