Using D is a win

BLS nanali at nospam-wanadoo.fr
Sun Jun 10 07:25:52 PDT 2007

Walter said : "D is not a language made for beginners"  and further :
"They (the nubes) should start with Java, VB or someting similar."

I disagree. You can learn Programming using D. You can teach yourself
advanced programming technics without having a too steep learing curve
and  without having too much trouble in learning exotic language constructs.

You can start using and learning D wether you are coming from the Pascal
language family (including all the 4GL derivats) or you feel more
comfortable with C-ish languages.

Of course, a DEEP D understanding can easyly take you away from
everything else for a year or so, but compare it to Cpp!

And even if D will never? be your Bread and Butter language I would
suggest to stay tuned/ Try to follow the discussions here, even if you
(like me) are not yet able to understand every topic. I have learned a
lot within the last 18 month just by listening to the folks here at
digitalmars.learn/d

I can say that I made my step from
Average Joe Coder to : Average++ Joe Coder
thanks to D and folks around.

..a while ago I was convinced that metaprogramming is bullsh... because
you can do everything using OOP technics..Well the last is still true,
but now I see that the overhead using OOP is sometimes not worth the
effort; Using Metaprogramming in D is not a pain, it is easy. Compared
to Cpp I have to say D metaprogramming is a piece of cake.
..

Just one thing remains to say (to ask for) Can you, D wizards, please
explain what a new language feature is good for. In practice, pros and
cons, having examples ?

Curious enough / Learning D gives me an better C sharp, Java understanding.

Just my 2 percent of a dead president
Bjoern