Using D is a win

Daniel Keep daniel.keep.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 08:30:24 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly wrote:
> BLS wrote:
>> Walter said : "D is not a language made for beginners"  and further :
>> "They (the nubes) should start with Java, VB or someting similar."
>>
>> I disagree. You can learn Programming using D. You can teach yourself
>> advanced programming technics without having a too steep learing curve
>> and  without having too much trouble in learning exotic language
>> constructs.
>
> Agreed.  My first language in college was Pascal, the second, C++.  D
> could have been used for both classes... certainly for the second, at
> least.
>
> Sean

I'd have to say that D makes a good *second* language, but not so much a
good first language.  Something like Python definitely makes a better
first language since it allows people to focus on learning how to solve
problems.  I personally think it's more important to get them used to
problem-solving than "now, do I need a 32-bit or 64-bit int for this?
Should I use a struct or a class?"

But then, maybe that's just me :)

	-- Daniel