Do we need a time-out in D evolution?

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Sun Jun 10 17:32:50 PDT 2007

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:f4gg3j$hc$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> const by default is too big a change, and I'm reluctant to do something so
>> far out of the mainstream of these types of languages.
>
> "These types of languages"?  You mean "C++"?  What other languages are like
> D, anyway?

Just about any other imperative language (BASIC, Fortran, Pascal, Ada, Oberon and of course C, C++,
C# and Java, the LAMP languages, yada, yada, etc...), so Walter may have a point.

OTOH, since 'mutable by default' has been done ad nauseum for imperative languages, and the above is
really an onerous list to try and compete against for mind-share, maybe D 2.0 _should_ try 'const by
default'.