Do we need a time-out in D evolution?

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 09:36:30 PDT 2007

BCS, el  9 de junio a las 00:20 me escribiste:
> Reply to Walter,
>
> >BCS wrote:
> >>Reply to Walter,
> >>Bummer
> >It's not that it's a bad idea, it's just that it would be problematic
> >to implement. What if the behavior of parts of Phobos changes, and one
> >part of the code depends on 1 library behavior, and another part
> >depends on 2? What if trying to accommodate both simultaneously is not
> >practical? How to test all those combinations?
> >

> Well in that case I hope we'll get it when D2.0 comes out of beta. (or maybe alpha)
>

> Aside:
>
> This sort of plays into a thought I had as to how D might be able to avoid the mess that C++ seems to have gotten into. How about if each major version of D is not required
> to be backwards comparable with the last version. Where possible the extern(D<ver>) will be provided for backwards (and maybe forwards) compatibility.  However If code
> can't be mapped automatically, then it isn't directly callable and that is assumed to be the cost of keeping a clean language.

You can allways use C-linking for legacy code. Which makes me think it
could be really useful some kind of tool to automatically expose a class
as plain C functions and structs (AKA, C bindings for D code).

--
LUCA - Leandro Lucarella - Usando Debian GNU/Linux Sid - GNU Generation
E-Mail / JID:     luca at lugmen.org.ar
GPG Fingerprint:  D9E1 4545 0F4B 7928 E82C  375D 4B02 0FE0 B08B 4FB2
GPG Key:          gpg --keyserver pks.lugmen.org.ar --recv-keys B08B4FB2