A bug in news reader program

jcc7 technocrat7 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:29:40 PDT 2007

== Quote from HATA (hata at mail1.big.or.jp)'s article

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D.bugs&article_id=11355
> Then, please click link in a tree of the bottom of that page.
> Perhaps, you must go to the article of "digitalmars.D".
> But that link shoud make you to go to the article of
> "digitalmars.D.bugs".
> The number of article is same, but news group is different.
> This news reader can work rightly only through message list page.
> We think this is a kind of bug.
> Sorry, if this bug has been known.

I've known about this for a while, but I don't know if it's been mentioned in the
newsgroup before. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the WebNews project is being
actively developed. It is open source, but I don't know how hard it'd be to fix. I
think it has something to do with how WebNews uses cookies to keep track of the
last newsgroup that has been displayed.

In any case, the problem only seems to affect the links in the thread list at the
bottom of the page and the pnews web interface doesn't even have a thread view, so
I still prefer WebNews for when I can't use an actual newsreader. (Though a do
post with pnews because posting through WebNews is known to "break" threads in its
own threading view. For details, see
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=47211)