A question about modules

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue Jun 12 13:07:13 PDT 2007

Reply to Myron,

> what I want to do is
> eliminate the need for a separate .lib and .di files. The way Java
> works is that you do not have to include a textual header with
> the .class files, the .class files act as the header and obj in one file.

[...]
> If there are no technical reasons preventing the implementation of
> such a mechanism, and it is just a matter of Walter not having the
> time, then so be it; but I would like to know, just in case something
> could be worked out.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Myron.

I think it might be possible to write a program that would extract the symbol
names from an object file, un-mangle them and build a .di file from this
information. If this could be done, then this could be linked into the compiler
and then pass this .di file off to the code that parses it. (or the .di generator
could be re worked so that it inserts the symbol directly into the symbol
table)