Using D is a win

Dan murpsoft at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 13 04:01:45 PDT 2007

Sean Kelly Wrote:

> Daniel Keep wrote:
> >
> > Sean Kelly wrote:

> >> Agreed.  My first language in college was Pascal, the second, C++.  D
> >> could have been used for both classes... certainly for the second, at
> >> least.
> >>
> >> Sean
> >
> > I'd have to say that D makes a good *second* language, but not so much a
> > good first language.  Something like Python definitely makes a better
> > first language since it allows people to focus on learning how to solve
> > problems.  I personally think it's more important to get them used to
> > problem-solving than "now, do I need a 32-bit or 64-bit int for this?
> > Should I use a struct or a class?"
> >
> > But then, maybe that's just me :)
>
> I think it depends on how an individual learns (though it's difficult to
> build a curriculum to account for that).  Some people have difficulty
> focusing on higher level issues until they know how the underpinnings
> work.  Others are the opposite.  My wife did best learning architecture,
> then assembler, and so on.
>

> Sean

Yeah, I went:
HTML
JavaScript
x86 Assembler <-- this is when it clicked
C++
CSS
Pascal
Java
XML
C#

After x86 assembler <-> html I was able to understand the efforts to obfuscate complexity.  I was also able to understand where we had failed in this task.

Programming = new Exercise( in caching && in obfuscating complexity);